The Finnish Biochar Association
Biochar in Finland
The Finnish Biochar Association is pleased to announce that the map of biochar activities in Finland is now published. The map is continuously updated and will include more details in the future.
The map includes five different categories:
- Research organizations involved with biochar research
- Biochar companies who have their own biochar production or use contract manufacturers
- Finished projects, including practical biochar projects
- Ongoing projects, including planned or currently ongoing practical biochar projects
- Scientific research projects, conducted through applying scientific method and using controls, and which results are or will be made public (preferably in the form of peer-reviewed scientific articles).
Currently biochar projects are located in around 30 different Finnish municipalities and cities. Including the ten largest cities in Finland (Helsinki, Espoo, Tampere, Vantaa, Oulu, Turku, Jyväskylä, Lahti, Kuopio, and Pori). Despite the high number of different finished and ongoing biochar projects across Finland, the scale of these projects has generally been small. Majority of the projects were completed during the last two years and many of them have been inspired by the example of the city of Stockholm, which has been using biochar as a standard material in the structural soil since 2009.
A great number of projects are related to biochar-based solutions for stormwater and runoff management, planting trees in urban areas, and improving the quality of water bodies through nutrient management. The scale and number of projects are expected to increase in the upcoming years significantly.
Nordic Biochar Network
Biochar in the Nordic countries
Nordic Biochar Network is mapping biochar-related activities in the Nordic countries. Finnish Biochar Association is co-operating with Nordic Biochar Network and forwards information from the Finnish Biochar Map.
Add location to the biochar map
Finnish Biochar Map is efficient way to network and achieve visibility!
Just fill the form and you are in!